Mager/CRI Certified

For years as a professional Instructional Designer I had Eastman Kodak Company as key client. Then, one day Kodak decided to weed out any training consultants that weren't certified by then-top-ID-guru Robert F. Mager.

Now, my credentials are generally of the "proven, can-do, satisfaction guaranteed" variety. But, no problem. I simply enrolled in an evening Graduate Studies course at the Rochester Institute of Technology. There, even though I already knew of, read, admired and routinely put into practice lots Mager-wisdom, I had a great time. Especially with the "reflexive" aspect of the course. That is, it self-referentially used the principles of Criterion-Referenced Instruction to teach CRI itself. Fun, fun, fun! One principle I like most is that students can know for sure whether or not they really "got it."

And so, badda-bing... a few short weeks later I showed Kodak the paper they wanted to see.

Of course, my original certificate has a nice, shiny gold seal. Let's hope this photocopy suffices until I can put my hands on it. Creating gold in Photoshop is no trouble, but integrity is of higher value.

There are some things you just can't fake; while others you can, but shouldn't.

No comments: